Getting Healthy 2
Eating healthy is important, but in today’s world eating healthy is hard. With no dearth of choices to spoil you, to wean you off good eating habits, it becomes much more important that we pay attention to what we eat. The following is a cheat sheet to eat healthier.
- Stop eating all forms of sugar. There is nothing called natural sugar. If you are not consuming raw fruits which come in fruits, some vegetables like beetroot, sweet potato etc., all other foods which are sweet should be avoided like plague. Even fruit juice, jaggery, and whatever so-called natural sugars are bad.
- Stop processed carbs. This includes bread, cookies, all kinds of called healthy and non-healthy packaged food.
- Reduce high glycemic load foods. Glycemic index indicates the speed at which glucose enters the bloodstream, lower the index the better it is.
- Change (not increase) your carb intake, to low glycemic load foods. eg: chickpeas, ragi/nachni, beans (kidney beans, black beans, white beans), small seeds (sunflower, flax, pumpkin, poppy, sesame, hemp); walnuts, onions, karela, carrots etc.
- Eat healthy fats, ghee, butter, paneer, coconut oil, cheese (dairy), curd.
- Eat more of and a variety of vegetables
- Eat varied food in your diets. How do you know if you are eating varied food? If the food you eat lacks in natural colors you are not eating enough variety.
We lived most of our lives eating things which are mostly harmful, so it’s ok if you binge once in a while. Don’t feel guilty, get back to the above healthy eating.